Skip to main content

Why start blogging? Why Recalcitrant? Why is there air?


Why start blogging? 

OK, I have to be honest, I don't want to blog.  My boss has asked me to blog for years, but I didn't think I had that much to say; and that is odd, given that I'm an instructor.  Oh, sure, I talk all day long, teaching students cool things about SQL Server, but why would I want to do that all again and spill it all out in a blog.  The simple answer is, that I want to give back.  I might not post anything that is earth-shattering, but I know that when I first got started in SQL Server there was no such thing a blog, in fact, the Internet was hardly existing.  (Yes, I'm that old.)  But, over the years, I have learned so much from other kind people who were willing to share their knowledge and insight that I felt the need to give back, or pay it forward, or whatever the hip phrase is this week.  I guess I figgered it was my turn.  My hope is that I can help someone else along the way and that all of those people will be much smarter than me.

Why Recalcitrant?
Recalcitrant is defined by the Webster as:
"obstinately defiant of authority or restraint"
I guess you'd have to blame my parents who never allowed me to do something or argue a point on the old "other people say it's good" thinking.  I find that if I can't prove it to myself, I don't believe it.  I apply that attitude to SQL Server.  If I can't do it myself, it ain't true.

Why is there air?
Because God made it.  Pretty simple ;)
I will blog on SQL Server, and I will blog on the topic of adult education; those are my vocation.  You need to understand that while theology and my belief in God do not normally overlap with my technical training (not sure where it really could), it is ever-present in my thinking.  I know that you're not supposed to discuss politics or religion, but, remember, RECALCITRANT!

Anyway, that's me.  Along the way, other topics might spill in, after all, it's my blog.

Comments